Sunday, January 9, 2011

And Then There was Light

This past week was a "back to real life" type of week with both Sarah and I back to work...at least the type of work where we get paid.  The contractor stayed on the job most of the week and was able to get a few big things done for us that we've been waiting a long time for.  One of the main things we're trying to do on the lower level (where we will live one day) is to bring more light into the space.  And what's the easiest way to do that?...knock some holes in the wall of course.  In the back wall where the kitchen will be we're enlarging a 24" wide window to a 72"+ wide window and we're adding a completely new window on the west side of the living room.    


The opening's all ready to go...now this should let in some light.


Setting the window in...I look like I'm doing more work than I actually did.  I was just making sure the window didn't lean and fall out while the contractor screwed the window into place.


Sarah braved some crazy cold to get a big pile of siding painted while the window went in.  I think her feet are still frozen.


While Sarah was freezing outside, Millie and I worked in the warm upstairs kitchen installing shoe mold and base cap to finish off the trim and put the final touch on the kitchen.


Did I ever mention we have the greatest contractor ever?  After talking about cycling with him he mentioned having a road bike he didn't use anymore and said it was mine if I wanted it.  Hmmm... a free bike worth some major $$...sounds good to me.


Sarah painting even more siding...luckily this time in the house.  You can see the new window in the background.



Another view from the living room looking towards the back kitchen and both new windows.  Turns out we have a little bit of a skyline view of downtown from the window on the right.  These two rooms are now about four times as bright as before so I'd say a job well done.


Here's where all that siding went that Sarah was painting and you can see both new windows.  Next step is to paint all the trim once the weather warms up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment